Friday, November 30, 2012

Blogging Social Difference in Los Angeles: Week 9


This week I posted a comment on http://uclageography.blogspot.com/2012/10/week-4-not-so-decentralized-la.html


The comment is below:

Hello Laiza,

While looking for my final comment to make for blog for this class, I stumbled upon yours. I found you blog post very personal and interesting to read. Before I start my comment about the academic dimensions of your post, I would just like to say that I think your commitment to your education by commuting so far is quite admirable.

Moving on to the actual substance of the blog. Through all the blogs I have reviewed in search of making comment upon, your blog had the most concrete and applicable analysis of social difference through the lens of the Chicago School Model or the Concentric Model. Los Angeles is often very elusive of this model and typical structuring of most cities. This is because of its sprawling and personal transportation based system. Your post also effectively related the conventions of the Third Urban Revolution to your own personal commutes. Its interesting to see how LA has the ability to have such long distance commuters and therefore the center of people's Concentric models changes from a business district that exists in most older cities. Cities like this are exemplified in "Great Cities" by Frederich Engels. Older cities like Manchester are centered around city centers, which is not the case as much for Los Angeles. 


No comments:

Post a Comment