Thursday, October 4, 2012

Blogging Social difference in Los Angeles. Week 1

Hey all!

I'm Logan Linnane. I'm a second year at UCLA, currently enrolled in geography 151. I am proud to say that I live in the awesome city of LA and couldn't imagine a better place to spend my undergraduate career. My initial interest in this class roots from my interest in my Environmental Studies/Geography major. However, I do love the city and feed on the hustle and bustle of a huge city. Fueled by my young adventuresome spirit (and my desire to do well in this class) I'm about to take a ten week journey through the city of angels.

Now on the major pillar of this class; social difference in the city. It is truly impossible to look at the population of any American metropolis and not see the amalgamation of social, racial, economic positions that the people of said city tend to be. Essentially, a city is its diversity. From Bel Air to Crenshaw, the walks of life that coexist in this massive city are something can span much beyond the scope of a ten week study. I find the study of the social infrastructure of the city as interesting (if not more) than its physical infrastructure. How can we drive a few miles down sunset and go from sprawling mansions to sprawling squalor? Well, if I can't yet answer that question then I will just have to do my best to observe it. Join me as I embark on trying to find what what difference keep us separated while still living under the urban umbrella of being a citizen of Los Angeles.

No comments:

Post a Comment